Skip to content

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes

March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!  I did mention earlier this week that I may or may not have something for you in green.  I have green accents.  I just couldn’t bring myself to put the food coloring in the beautiful frosting, I simply couldn’t.  But there is Irish beer, Bailey’s and green beneath what more could you ask for?  Yes, I know, green frosting.  Maybe next year 😉

These cupcakes were killers!  (A slight pun, intended)  Irish car bomb cupcakes are a chocolate cupcake made with Guinness Stout then filled with Bailey’s buttercream and topped off with Jameson buttercream frosting!  Now, if that does not scream IRISH, I don’t know what does.  These cupcakes are quite literally ‘the bomb’!!  The chocolate cupcake alone is pure heaven, they are super fudgey, chocolatey and they contain beer.  Heaven! Bottom line, you have to make these cupcakes even if it isn’t St. Patrick’s Day 🙂

Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes
Ingredients

1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1  cup brewed strong coffee
1 1/2 cup Guinness Stout
1 cup butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 large eggs
2teaspoon vanilla

To Prepare

Place oven rack in middle position and heat oven to 325°F. Line cupcake wells with cupcake liner.
Add coffee, Guinness, butter, and cocoa powder in a 3-quart heavy saucepan  and heat over medium,  whisking, until butter is melted. Remove from heat, and add sugar and whisk until dissolved, about 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
Add flour and baking soda in a bowl and whisk to combine; set aside. Whisk together eggs and vanilla in a small bowl, then whisk into cooled chocolate mixture until combined well. Add flour mixture and whisk until just combined (batter will be thin and bubbly).  Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.

Bailey and Whiskey Buttercream
Ingredients

5 egg whites
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
2 cups butter, softened and cubed
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 tablespoons of Bailey’s
5-6 tablespoons Jameson

To Prepare

Place eggs and sugar in stand mixer bowl attach thermometer to bowl and then place bowl over simmering water.  Whisk mixture constantly until it comes to 150 degrees F. Remove bowl from heat and place back with stand mixer. Beat mixture on medium     until it becomes glossy and shiny and stiff peaks begin to form, about 8-10 minutes.
Add butter in a few pieces at a time and beat to combine after each addition. Mixture may look curdled half way through, but continue adding the butter and beating and the mixture will become smooth once more.
Split the frosting  by 25% and 75%. Add Bailey’s to the 25% portioned frosting, stir to combine. Add Jameson Whiskey to the remaining 75% frosting batter, stir to combine.

Assembly

Using a melon baller or the wider end of a piping tip, carve out a hole  from the top of the cupcake for filling.
Fill emptied well with Bailey’s buttecream. Finish with Whiskey buttercream.

Makes 16 cupcakes

Source Baker’s Royale

I hope you have a fabulous St. Patrick’s Day!!

From our kitchen to yours,
Sydney Jones

Advertisements
12 Comments leave one →
  1. March 17, 2012 3:18 pm

    Awsome festive cupcakes!!

  2. March 17, 2012 3:43 pm

    Oh yum! They look so pretty!

  3. March 17, 2012 3:45 pm

    Wow!!! Sounds fantastic! I have to try these!

  4. March 17, 2012 5:46 pm

    I love the big to little cupcakes in the last pic – thanks for sharing! Happy St. Paddy’s Day:)

    • March 17, 2012 6:32 pm

      Thanks, I can not for the life of me ever not make mini cupcakes. I have issues 🙂

  5. March 17, 2012 5:59 pm

    Your cupcakes look too perfect – I love how perfect your frosting is 😀

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    • March 17, 2012 6:33 pm

      You really are flattering Choc Chip Uru 🙂 Thank you so much! Happy St. Patrick’s day!!

  6. March 18, 2012 12:43 pm

    I think I will have to try these. They look fantastic!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: